
The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday allowed President Donald Trump’s administration to continue construction of his White House ballroom project for now, temporarily pausing a judicial order that would halt much of the development.
The court’s action, known as an administrative stay, gives the justices additional time to consider the administration’s formal request to let it continue working on the $400 million ballroom while a lawsuit by a historic preservation group seeking to stop the project proceeds.
The stay was issued by Chief Justice John Roberts, who handles emergency cases arising in Washington, D.C.
In an August 14 filing to the Supreme Court, Justice Department lawyers echoed Trump’s contention that the project is a security necessity, citing assassination attempts against the president and other recent threats.
“This case involves an extraordinary and unlawful injunction that will halt the ongoing construction of the integrated military complex, including a totally secure ballroom space, at the East Wing of the White House, which is vitally required by national security,” they wrote.
Trump welcomed the court’s action on Friday.
“We are grateful for the Decision of the United States Supreme Court,” Trump wrote in a social media post. “The Military/Ballroom Complex being built on the hallowed grounds of the White House, which is so vital for National Security, will be THE GREATEST OF ITS KIND!”
The nonprofit National Trust for Historic Preservation sued last year after the administration tore down, opens new tab the White House East Wing and began building a 90,000-square-foot (8,360-square-meter) ballroom without seeking specific approval from Congress.
After the Supreme Court acted on Friday, a spokesperson for the National Trust for Historic Preservation said, “To be clear, this is not a final decision on the merits of the government’s stay application, and we await further action.”
The project combines the above-ground ballroom with an extensive underground complex. Trump has said the project includes bomb shelters, medical facilities, shielding from drones and missiles and other security features that are “all tied together as one big, expensive and very complex unit.”
On August 7, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in a 2-1 ruling upheld U.S. District Judge Richard Leon’s order directing the administration to halt above-ground construction. The order had been set to take effect on Friday.
‘A TEMPORARY TENANT’
“Each President is a temporary tenant, not the owner, of the White House,” and cannot fundamentally reshape it without congressional approval, the D.C. Circuit’s ruling stated.
The district judge’s order did not permanently bar construction of a ballroom. It blocked above-ground efforts while allowing below-ground construction to continue, as well as work deemed “strictly necessary” for the safety and security of the White House. In its ruling, the D.C. Circuit said national security arguments “are not an automatic get-out-of-law-free card.”
The Justice Department said in its August 14 filing that the overall East Wing project — including both the underground facilities and the above-ground ballroom — is 65% complete.