Interpol has issued a Red Corner Notice against fugitive gangster Shariq Sata in the Sambhal violence case. The move strengthens efforts to trace, arrest and extradite him over the 2024 unrest and other criminal cases.

Interpol has issued a Red Corner Notice against fugitive gangster Shariq Sata, who Uttar Pradesh Police have identified as the alleged mastermind of the Sambhal violence of November 2024, a police officer said on Friday. The move follows a request sent through the CBI after the completion of legal formalities.
Police said Sata had already been declared a fugitive offender by a court, and proceedings had begun to attach his property. A lookout circular had also been issued earlier. With the Red Corner Notice now in place, efforts will be made to trace, arrest and extradite him from whichever country he is in so that he can face legal action in the Sambhal case and in 55 to 60 other criminal cases registered against him.
Krishna Kumar Bishnoi, Superintendent of Police of Sambhal at the time and now SP of Bijnor, told reporters that Sata was the main conspirator in the violence. He said Sata had fled the country years ago and had been absconding since.
According to Bishnoi, Sata had gone to Dubai using a forged passport, and his family members had frequently travelled there. Police kept him under close watch and prepared a detailed dossier, which was sent to the CBI. The agency then coordinated with Interpol to secure the Red Corner Notice.
Police said several raids were carried out to trace him, but he could not be found. After that, a notice under Section 84 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita was pasted at his residence. Bishnoi said the Red Corner Notice would now help authorities move ahead with efforts to bring him back to face the cases against him.