Another Earthquake Hits Indonesia: 5.9 Quake Strikes Flores Days After Deadly 7.7 Shock

Over 995 aftershocks have been recorded, some damaging infrastructure and forcing thousands into temporary shelters.

Motorists ride past a building that collapsed during an earthquake in Indonesia on Monday.
Photo : AP

A magnitude 5.9 earthquake has struck Indonesia’s earthquake-hit Flores region, days after a powerful 7.7-magnitude quake killed at least 53 people and caused widespread damage. The latest tremor was recorded on Monday by Germany’s GFZ Research Centre for Geosciences. It struck at a depth of about 10km.

There were no immediate reports of further casualties or damage from the latest earthquake. The tremor comes after the 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck East Nusa Tenggara province on Saturday morning. The US Geological Survey said its epicentre was about 68km north-west of Ende.

The earthquake triggered a tsunami warning, prompting coastal residents to move to higher ground. The warning was later lifted after authorities found no significant changes in sea levels.

Death Toll Reaches 53

Rescuers recovered 47 bodies on Saturday, mostly in the areas of Sikka, Manggarai and East Manggarai, according to Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Agency. Six more bodies were recovered on Sunday, taking the death toll to 53. More than 130 people were injured.

Thousands of residents spent the night outdoors because of fears of further aftershocks. Authorities initially reported more than 230 aftershocks, but the National Disaster Management Agency later said at least 995 aftershocks had been recorded. Only 46 were felt by residents, while the strongest measured 6.2.

More than 900 homes were destroyed and another 450 damaged across East Nusa Tenggara, forcing about 5,000 people into temporary shelters. At least 241 homes were damaged in the Flores region.

The earthquake also damaged or destroyed more than 100 public facilities, including schools, medical centres and churches.

Landslides Hamper Rescue Efforts

East Nusa Tenggara police chief Rudi Darmoko said the earthquake caused severe damage and collapsed buildings, while power outages disrupted communications. “We are continuing to collect reports of damage and casualties, but there are communication disruptions,” Darmoko said.

Landslides triggered by the earthquake also cut off sections of the Trans-Flores highway in Ende regency. The roughly 435-mile road runs across Flores from Labuan Bajo to Larantuka.

Rescue officials have warned that the death toll could rise because landslides have buried or cut off remote villages across six regencies on the island.

Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Agency has deployed a helicopter to help transport supplies and support emergency operations, including possible evacuations. The region’s geography – with East Nusa Tenggara made up of numerous islands – makes access particularly difficult for rescue teams.

‘Everything in the house fell down’

Residents described the earthquake as extremely powerful. “I have never felt an earthquake this big,” Yulian Juita Ekalia, who lives in Ruteng, more than 60 miles from the epicentre, told AFP. “It felt like we were on a trampoline; it was really scary,” the 37-year-old university lecturer said. “As I rushed to get outside, everything in the house fell down: the television, my son’s trophies, the dish racks, suitcases on top of the wardrobes. When I got outside, my son and neighbours were already there, screaming in fear.”

Footage from local television showed patients being moved out of several hospitals as a precaution. Staff moved beds, oxygen cylinders and other medical equipment outdoors and established temporary treatment areas.

Source : https://www.timesnownews.com/world/asia/indonesia-earthquake-today-flores-region-latest-updates-death-toll-article-155708025

Exit mobile version