• Home
  • About US
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use

Archives

  • August 2026
  • July 2026
  • June 2026
  • May 2026
  • April 2026
  • March 2026
  • February 2026
  • January 2026
  • December 2025
  • November 2025
  • October 2025
  • September 2025
  • August 2025
  • July 2025
  • June 2025
  • May 2025
  • April 2025
  • March 2025
  • February 2025
  • January 2025
  • December 2024
  • November 2024
  • October 2024
  • September 2024
  • August 2024
  • July 2024
  • June 2024
  • May 2024
  • April 2024
  • March 2024
  • February 2024
  • January 2024
  • December 2023
  • November 2023
  • October 2023
  • September 2023
  • August 2023
  • July 2023
  • June 2023
  • May 2023
  • April 2023
  • March 2023
  • January 2023
  • December 2022
  • November 2022
  • October 2022
  • September 2022
  • August 2022
  • July 2022
  • June 2022
  • May 2022
  • March 2022
  • February 2022
  • January 2022
  • November 2019

Categories

  • Auto
  • Business
  • Climate & Earth
  • Coronavirus
  • Crypto
  • Entertainment
  • Happiness Basket
  • India
  • Learn | Unlearn | Relearn
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Research Discoveries
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Trending
  • Video
  • World
  • Home
  • About US
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
Read Selective
  • World
  • Politics
  • India
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Auto
  • Crypto
  • Coronavirus
  • Happiness Basket
  • Research Discoveries
  • World

US, South Korea to cut length, scope of military drills after Trump order

  • August 19, 2026
U.S. Army soldiers work on their armed vehicles at a U.S. army base near the demilitarized zone separating two Koreas, in Dongducheon, South Korea, August 18, 2026. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji Purchase Licensing Rights

South Korea and the United States will cut short annual joint military drills to five days from 11 and scale back some ‌field training, the allies said on Wednesday, after President Donald Trump ordered a substantial reduction in U.S. participation.
The change in the drills comes as Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi visits South Korea on Wednesday and Thursday for regional security talks expected to cover developments on the Korean peninsula.

The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, which began on August 17, will now run through August 21, South ​Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff and a Pentagon official said, instead of the original end date of August 27.
South Korean Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back said the ​allies were moving to cancel the drills’ second phase, media said, adding that it had been expected to involve counterattack ⁠operations after an initial defensive phase.
At the suggestion of the United States, the countries agreed on partial adjustments to the duration and scope of the drills, the ​JCS said. Some combined field manoeuvre training would also be scaled back, although details were still being discussed.

A U.S. Department of Defense official said the department had substantially ​reduced the exercise and associated live-training events, with some cancelled or switched to simulations.
The changes would preserve essential readiness and training aims, with no degradation to U.S. training objectives, the official added.
The changes follow Trump’s order on Sunday to “substantially reduce” the U.S. role in the drills, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
Trump’s objectives in the order appeared to ​be to pressure Seoul over the pace of its promised U.S. investments under a trade deal, shift attention from U.S. challenges in Iran and reopen diplomacy ​with Pyongyang, one analyst said.
“Trump is trying to catch three birds with one stone here,” said Ellen Kim, senior fellow at the Korea Economic Institute of America.

NORTH KOREA DENOUNCES DRILLS

North Korea again ‌denounced the ⁠drills on Wednesday, saying it would continue exercising its right to self-defence against what it called military threats from Washington and Seoul, the official news agency KCNA said.
In a commentary, it called the United States and South Korea “warmongers” raising tension on the Korean peninsula, but stopped short of mentioning Trump, his order or the scaling back.
North Korea’s decision to issue the commentary, rather than a statement by a senior official or a military show of force, may signal an effort to leave room ​for diplomacy, said Hong Min, a researcher ​at the Korea Institute for National ⁠Unification.
Trump has pushed aides to arrange an in-person meeting with Kim as soon as this autumn, the Wall Street Journal said, citing U.S. officials.
He has discussed holding talks during a possible November trip to Asia for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit ​in the Chinese technology hub of Shenzhen, the paper added.

Source : https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/north-korea-denounces-us-south-korea-joint-military-drills-kcna-says-2026-08-18/

Previous Article
  • World

Meta rejects claims it sought to hook children to Facebook, Instagram

  • August 19, 2026
View Post
Next Article
  • World

Trump says no talks planned with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

  • August 19, 2026
View Post
You May Also Like
View Post
  • World

Hayden Panettiere was on ‘bag of medication’ at time of death — as cops reveal boyfriend’s strange reaction to her ‘overdose’

  • August 19, 2026
View Post
  • World

ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard was dealing with ‘health issue’ that kept him off stage for nearly a year before death

  • August 19, 2026
View Post
  • Trending
  • World

‘Damning’ new Epstein evidence could be coming as trove of case docs to be unsealed: report

  • August 19, 2026
View Post
  • World

CLAWS OUT White House unleashes on ‘Obama cosplaying’ Jon Ossoff after weird claim about Trump & ‘human printer’ aide Natalie Harp

  • August 19, 2026
View Post
  • World

KREMLIN’S CROSSHAIRS Europe on edge as Putin’s drone bases on Nato’s doorstep revealed & warship armed with missiles stalks tourist island

  • August 19, 2026
View Post
  • World

Lindsay Clancy begged for help before her children’s killings, mother-in-law testifies

  • August 19, 2026
View Post
  • World

UK ‘supports Ukraine 100%’, Burnham says, after Russia’s drone warning

  • August 19, 2026
View Post
  • World

Brazil First, Cape Verde Next? India In Talks For Another Historic Friendly; Uruguay Also In The Mix

  • August 19, 2026

Recent Posts

  • Hayden Panettiere was on ‘bag of medication’ at time of death — as cops reveal boyfriend’s strange reaction to her ‘overdose’
  • ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard was dealing with ‘health issue’ that kept him off stage for nearly a year before death
  • ‘Damning’ new Epstein evidence could be coming as trove of case docs to be unsealed: report
  • Gene Test Revealed Inherited Cancer Risk Across Three Generations of One Family
  • CLAWS OUT White House unleashes on ‘Obama cosplaying’ Jon Ossoff after weird claim about Trump & ‘human printer’ aide Natalie Harp
Categories
  • Auto (44)
  • Business (461)
  • Climate & Earth (16)
  • Coronavirus (18)
  • Crypto (28)
  • Entertainment (879)
  • Happiness Basket (7)
  • India (5,709)
  • Learn | Unlearn | Relearn (163)
  • Lifestyle (326)
  • Politics (97)
  • Research Discoveries (392)
  • Science & Technology (466)
  • Sports (975)
  • Trending (1,668)
  • Video (1)
  • World (9,571)
Read Selective

For Feedbacks, Advertisements or Any Other Concerns mail us at info@readselective.com

Pages
  • Home
  • About US
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
Categories
  • Auto
  • Business
  • Climate & Earth
  • Coronavirus
  • Crypto
  • Entertainment
  • Happiness Basket
  • India
  • Learn | Unlearn | Relearn
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Research Discoveries
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Trending
  • Video
  • World
© 2024 Read Selective | Developed by SUGARA Technologies
  • Home
  • About US
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use

Input your search keywords and press Enter.

Go to mobile version